So you're doing your part by using Brita filters instead of getting bottled water, but what do you do with your filters afterwards? I -like most people - have been throwing the filters away because I had no idea what to do with them. Well I'm happy to find that Brita now has a recycling program for them ! I guess we have no excuse now...!
Brita has teamed up with Preserve, a leading maker of 100 percent recycled household consumer goods, to collect and recycle Brita pitcher filters. Preserve’s Gimme 5 Program will transform the plastic from these filters into new Preserve products. Send your used Brita® pitcher filter cartridges back to us and we’ll arrange to have them recycled by Preserve!
The best thing about it is ...
It’s easy and FREE. Brita® will pay for the shipping costs.*
*Only valid for Brita® pitcher filters returned within Canada.
How to Participate:
- Please save 3 used Brita® pitcher filter cartridges for each shipment. Only a maximum of 3 filters per package will be accepted (maximum weight 750g). You can include Pitcher and/or Bottle filter cartridges in your shipment.
- Dry the used filters by shaking off excess water and setting them in a dry place for at least a week before packaging them for shipping. Wrap the used Brita® filter cartridges in a plastic grocery bag, and then pack them in a box.
- If possible, please reuse the original box that you purchased the Brita® filters in to package the used filters for return (boxes and bags will be recycled).
- If the original packaging is not available, please use a parcel that is a similar size and shape to avoid excess packaging.
- To receive a pre-paid Canada Post shipping label via email, copy and paste the following link into your web browser:http://www.canadapost.ca:80/cpotools/apps/prse/label?policyId=PR373740
- Upon receiving your Brita® pre-paid shipping label and bar code via email, affix the label to the package and drop the package off at the nearest Canada Post mailbox.
Read more about the program here :